Meet Ms. Gloria Evelyn Byamugisha one of the UMU Almuni award winners

Meet Ms. Gloria Evelyn Byamugisha one of the UMU Almuni award winners

Ms. Gloria Evelyn Byamugisha was admitted to the prestigious order of Diamond Ambassador of Uganda Martyrs University, as a recipient of UMU Outstanding Alumni Award at the 2022 Inaugural Edition under the category of: Human Resources Professional.
Ms. Gloria Evelyn Byamugisha graduated with a B.A (Hons – Upper) Business Administration and Management of Uganda Martyrs University in 1998. Throughout her career life, she has been such an outstanding ambassador of her Alma Mater, Uganda Martyrs University as evidenced in her profile.

Gloria Evelyn Byamugisha is a very passionate Human Resources Generalist, with a demonstrated wealth of experience in championing Thought Leadership, Organizational Change, Talent Management, and implementing Mergers & Acquisitions. She attracts talent, nurtures innovators and manages specialists. Her wealth of experience spans over 20 years of working in the Public, Telecoms, Banking and Manufacturing sectors.

She has great passion and expertise in Strategic Human Resource Management, Organizational Restructuring models, Mergers & Acquisitions, Change Management, Leadership Development, Productivity Enhancement, Talent Management and capability building. She consistently seeks to contribute to the development and growth of African Leadership by attracting and nurturing the best talent amidst an ever-changing dynamic global business environment. Gloria is currently the Group Chief HR Officer for Dangote Cement Plc (Lagos, Nigeria), overseeing Dangote Cement Group’s Human Capital with a total staff base of 30,000 across 11 African countries.

She previously worked as Group HR Director, Equity Group Holdings (Kenya), where she managed Human Capital requirements for the Equity Group (Financial Services, Equity Foundation and Insurance), with a total staff base of 9,000 across 6 Countries. While here, she redesigned the Group’s compensation structure, and contributed to the retention strategy and overall Business growth. She had prior served as Regional HR Head, Ecobank (Nigeria and EAC). She managed Nigeria and EAC – total staff base of 8,500 staff accounting for over 60% of the total Ecobank Group headcount. She achieved 12% cost savings on account of increased operational efficiencies, revamped branch network model arising from successful closure of 70 unprofitable branches, resulting into 15% increase in productivity. She had also worked as Cluster HR Head, Ecobank (EAC), where she managed the Human Capital Base for Ecobank Kenya and EAC – total staff base of 1,500 across 7 Counties. Here she achieved 15% employee cost reduction over 3 years, 30% improved productivity, improved employee engagement by 2% year on year, successful restructuring of branch networks and achieved 300% growth in PBT.

Gloria Byamugisha was also previously HR Director, Airtel Headquarters (Kenya). Here, she managed all Group Specialists across a scope of over 50 Nationalities – a total Headcount of 600 Staff. She effectively implemented an organizational restructuring at the Group office and successfully launched a multi-cultural integration program. Relatedly, Gloria also worked as HR Director for Airtel Uganda, where she oversaw the Human Capital Base for Airtel/ Zain/ Celtel Uganda with an initial staff base of over 1,000 staff.

She led a key restructuring that saw the first outsourcing in Sub-Saharan Africa to Nokia Siemens and IBM. She also managed 2 major brand changes; Celtel to Zain, and Zain to Airtel. At the start of her career, 1999 – 2003, she was Resourcing & Retention Specialist, and 2003 – 2006, Team Lead for The NHS Trust (UK). Here, she was part of a great team that resourced the National Health Trust. She played a big role in optimizing the talent acquisition & management process in unison with the L&D function. She also supervised a team of administrators, optimized performance, managed attendance, absenteeism, annual leave requirements, and the department’s annual budget.

Gloria Evelyn Byamugisha holds a Master of Sciences HR Management, 2008: University of Bedfordshire (UK); and a Master of Business Administration – Finance & Management, 2004: University of Westminster (UK). She is married to Mr. Paul Byamugisha, who is also a graduate of UMU in Business Administration and Management.

Share this post

Leave a Reply